Home

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Some Commentary from an Article on a Friend's Blog

Unknowingly, my friend started a blog around the same time I did. Check out his original article which is pretty insightful.  He contends that even though the Marlins have a slim chance of making the playoffs, although we both agree that they won't, they made the right move by shutting down their ace pitcher Josh Johnson.  He is the National League's ERA Leader and has been complaining about shoulder and back problems.  The Marlins' front office quickly made the right decision to shut him down.

I contend that this is the route that the Nationals' brass should have taken with highly touted fireballer, Stephen Strasburg.  He had already gone on the disabled list once, and that should have been a red flag right there.  Instead they bring him back, and the problem comes back.  This time, however, he tries to pitch through it and ends up tearing the Ulnar Collateral Ligament in his throwing elbow and required season-ending Tommy John Surgery.  Now, he is most likely out for all of 2011.

I do think Strasburg will be fine, but teams need to learn to not roll the dice with these types of injuries.  I'm no injury expert.  Hell, I am just a guy writing about this stuff in his spare time.  But, I will speak my mind and I think the Nationals screwed the pooch big time with their young hurler.  For now, that's all I got. Read, Enjoy, Comment.  I love feedback.  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment